Boys & Girls Clubs of Palm Beach County are offering free lunch and a healthy snack to ALL children under the age of 18 Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 1 p.m while Clubs are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Food will be given to parents with a drive-thru distribution system. All Clubs are participating, except those that are located inside of elementary schools in the Belle Glade area. Those meals can be picked up at the Belle Glade Teen Center.
All Boys & Girls Clubs of Palm Beach County remain closed due to concerns about the spreading coronavirus. It is unknown at this time when Clubs will be re-opened to Club members. However, Clubs are staffed to help with the free lunch distribution and to help parents apply for free summer camp scholarships. The deadline to apply for those vouchers is March 31 and unlikely to be extended.
Risk of infection is dependent on exposure. Close contact with people who are infected puts you at greater risk of exposure. Cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Florida and other parts of the U.S. Currently, there is no vaccine to protect against the disease and there is no antiviral treatment. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus.
Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory illness with these symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Pneumonia in both lungs in severe cases
Since the best way to protect your family and yourself is by avoiding exposure to the virus, there are some simple everyday preventive actions that you can take.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds frequently
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water is not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and throw the tissue away immediately
- Stay home if you are sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces if you become sick
If you need further information please go to www.cdc.gov/COVID19.